Raise your hand if you’re interested in a really, really simple and quick recipe with just 6 ingredients that’s also good-for-ya?! Okay I knew that would grab your attention, and I’m speaking the truth when I say this recipe for pistachio-crusted scallops will knock your socks off.
Sometimes preparing scallops can be intimidating because they cost a bit more than other proteins you find in the grocery store, and seafood in general is just a little bit scary at first. But once you get the hang of it, you’ll want to cook it all of the time because 1) seafood cooks extremely quickly (dinner on the table in minutes, people), 2) it’s so tender, juicy and delicious when cooked properly, 3) it feels boujee and cool to cook seafood like a boss, and 4) it’s nutritious.
That’s why you’ll find this recipe in my MIND Diet Cookbook.
The best recipe for pistachio-crusted scallops is HERE
The method for making the perfect scallops is simple: You start by drying off the scallops really well, as this will help you get that beautiful browned, crispy sear on the scallops that we all know and love. If the scallops are damp, they’ll end up steaming rather than searing.
Once dried, season them with a good amount of salt and pepper. Get the olive oil nice and hot in the pan – also important for achieving that sear – and throw them in the pan.
Give each of the scallops a little space to cook and let them hang out in the pan until the bottom has a beautiful browned crust (takes 2 to 3 minutes), then flip (don’t fuss, my friend).
That entire process takes about 5 minutes – seriously.
You’ll then dip them each in a mixture of crushed pistachios and lemon zest until they’re lightly dusted. And at that moment, you should dive in (pun intended).
The scallops will be tender, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth and have that nutty crunch from the pistachios, crispy bits from the sear and a hint of lemon. These pistachio-crusted scallops are perfect.
You can find more delish seafood recipes HERE!
Maybe you’ll want something to serve them with, such as a vegetable or two.
Or a starch or a salad. And I encourage it. But let these babes be the star of the show.Print
Six ingredients and 10 minutes gives you these decadent seared scallops crusted with crushed pistachios and lemon zest.
- Prep Time: 5-10 mins
- Cook Time: 5-10 mins
- Total Time: 10-20 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-pound sea or diver scallops, cleaned and dried
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the pistachios in a small food processor; pulse until they resemble crumbs. Transfer the pistachio crumbs to a shallow dish and stir in the lemon zest and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the scallops on all sides with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Add the scallops to the skillet and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes or until browned, then flip and cook on the other side, about 1 to 2 minutes or until the scallops are slightly firm.
- Use tongs to transfer the scallops to the dish with the pistachio crust; turn and toss the scallops until they are coated on all sides. Serve immediately.
Cooking Tip: Be sure the oil is hot before adding the scallops to the pan; this will ensure a browned, crisp crust. Also, don’t prematurely flip the scallops; wait until they have a thick brown crust before turning. They only need to cook about 5 minutes total; overcooked scallops are tough and rubbery; perfectly cooked scallops are tender and juicy.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 562mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
Keywords: scallops, seafood, pistachio, MIND diet, quick, easy,