Can I interest you in a quick and easy weeknight meal? In short, this recipe is full of delicious Italian sausage, handfuls of baby kale, pillowy and slightly crispy potato dumplings, oregano, basil marinara and topped with shaved Parmesan cheese. This Italian Sausage, Kale & Gnocchi Skillet is it.
How to make this skillet
I assume everyone just raised their hand because we ALL need easy weeknight meals. We literally can never have too many, am I right? Well this meal has just a few ingredients and is packed with amazing Italian flavors. I think it’s going to be a new favorite for all of us.
There’s spicy Italian sausage (or you can get mild, if that’s your thing), handfuls of baby kale, pillowy potato dumplings that are also slightly crispy on the outside, fresh and dried oregano (my fave herb), basil marinara and an absurd amount of freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.
Sounds heavenly, right? And it’s all ready in just about 25 mins.
Does this skillet make enough for leftovers?
Also, it makes for the perfect leftovers because this skillet makes a lot of food and is one of those meals that easily reheats in the microwave or on the stove.
And if you’re looking for a bit of a lighter version, you could swap out half of the Italian sausage for ground turkey, chicken or beef, or swap out all of the Italian sausage with one of those three options. If that’s the case, I’d add a bit more Italian seasoning and maybe some fennel to be sure you get that fabulous sausage flavor.
You can also make your own tomato sauce or use your favorite jarred marinara. No matter how you do it, you’ll really, really love this Italian Sausage, Kale & Gnocchi Skillet.
Yes, yes, yes!Print
Italian Sausage, Kale & Gnocchi Skillet
An easy 25-minute weeknight dinner of Italian sausage, handfuls of kale, pillowy potato dumplings, oregano, basil marinara and Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 (16-ounce) package gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-pound ground Italian sausage
- 2–3 cups baby greens (spinach, kale)
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon each coarse salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara
- ½ cup fresh basil, oregano and/or flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Dry gnocchi on a paper towel.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add sausage and cook 5-7 minutes, until browned, breaking it up into bite-sized pieces as it cooks. Stir in gnocchi and saute 2-3 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until gnocchi is lightly browned. Stir in greens and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes, until greens are wilted. Stir in oregano, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir in marinara and bring to a light simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in chopped fresh herbs. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Spoon into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 468
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 724mg
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
Keywords: Italian sausage, skillet, gnocchi, marinara, kale, comfort food, weeknight, quick, easy