I’m comin’ in hot with a unique side dish that’ll knock your socks off. My Fennel & Grape Potato Salad that is featured in my DASH diet cookbook is quite possibly just what we all need to go with our favorite summer dishes.
Not only is it something a little different, but it showcases a veggie that most of us just don’t eat enough of (me included): fennel. It’s extra crisp and light and refreshing and is the perfect contrast to the soft texture of potatoes.
Potato salad with fennel and grapes
It also pairs so perfectly with bright, juicy red grapes, which is the other fun ingredient in this recipe. And I realize how odd that contrast sounds, but there are just so many deliciously harmonious things going on that once that you can’t be mad or weirded out about it.
And when you throw in some fresh herbs like tarragon or basil, things are just really delightful. And when I say things, I mean this potato salad.
Fennel & Grape Potato Salad from my DASH diet cookbook
In addition to the produce in this recipe, there’s a fabulous dressing made with olive oil, Dijon, honey and red wine vinegar, and the whole thing is topped with slivered almonds. Another unique feature of a potato salad, but it’s totally amazing.
I posted the full recipe here since it’s the 4th of July this week and we all need more potato salad in our lives, right? But this recipe is among 99 other freaking delicious recipes in my DASH diet cookbook!
If you haven’t checked it out, head over to the cookbooks page (I have 2 cookbooks!!!) on my blog and grab a copy. You seriously won’t be disappointed.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be hovered over this bowl of potato salad for the rest of eternity. Or until it’s empty.Print
Fennel & Grape Potato Salad
Potato salad with a unique twist! Instead of mayonnaise-based dressing, this version has a light vinaigrette dressing with fresh tarragon. It also boasts fennel, grapes and almonds with a sweet, savory, and nutty touch.
- Prep Time: 15-20 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
- Total Time: 30-40 mins
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove-Top, No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 4 medium Yukon or red potatoes, cubed
- 1 small head fennel, cleaned, trimmed and diced
- 2 cups red grapes, halved
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon*
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook about 5-7 minutes or until slightly tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again, place in a bowl and let cool.
- To the bowl, add fennel and grapes.
- In another small bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, salt, black pepper, tarragon and olive oil. Add dressing to the bowl with the salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until chilled. Top with almonds.
Substitution Tip: Swap tarragon for chopped parsley or basil, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 316mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: easy, summer, simple, salad ideas, side dish ideas, herbs, DASH diet, healthy