It’s my favorite season: Soup season! This chicken gnocchi soup has potato dumplings, spinach, chicken, and delicious flavor from herbs and spices.
It’s pretty much comfort in a bowl.
This chicken gnocchi soup is comforting.
Not that I don’t eat soup year round, because let’s be real… I do.
There’s just something so great about sitting over a hot bowl of soup when the air starts to have a little chill in it.
It’s just comfort food at it’s absolute finest.
What makes this chicken gnocchi soup so great.
What’s so special about this soup, is that it has delicious little potato dumplings throughout.
You know, gnocchi. GNOCCHI!
Why, oh why are you just so good? Is it your tenderness? Your pillowy softness?
Your ability to just melt in my mouth?
Or that fact that you’re sort of mash-up of pasta and potatoes; two of the world’s greatest treasures?
Okay, fine. It’s all of those things.
Oh how I love you so, gnocchi.
Also, you only take, like, 5 minutes to cook, so that’s a bonus.
Spinach, chicken and parmesan help bring it all together.
Plus, there are loads of other tasty things: spinach, chicken, Parmesan, and just the right amount of herbs and spices.
I am also proud of how a few special ingredients (hint: Worcestershire, cayenne) take this soup from fantastic, to extraordinary.
It’s all in the details.
But let’s be honest. I am the one digging for all of the gnocchi and am presented with sadness when all that’s left is vegetables.
Jk. I do love vegetables. But gnocchi > vegetables, in this case.
If you love this chicken, spinach & gnocchi soup, you may also enjoy these recipes:
- Zuppa Toscana
- Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup
- Loaded Cheesy Potato Soup
- Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
This soup has potato dumplings, spinach, chicken, and delicious flavor from herbs and spices. Comfort food at its finest!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, diced
- 8-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1-pound package whole wheat gnocchi
- 1–2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots and saute 3-4 minutes, until starting to soften. Add chicken and saute 3-4 minutes, until browned. Stir in spinach and garlic and saute 1-2 minutes, until wilted. Stir in Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Add additional 2 tablespoons of oil and turn heat to medium-high. Stir in flour and allow to cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken stock and evaporated milk and bring to a low boil. Add gnocchi and cook on a simmer 4-5 minutes, until gnocchi is tender. Remove pot from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve with remaining shaved Parmesan.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 814 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 39 mg
Keywords: easy, healthy, simple, comfort food, family friendly, whole wheat