Many moons ago, some of you asked for a Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe.
Well, I promised, and I really don’t like to break promises (especially when it comes to food), so here we are!
Sometimes when I think about recipes I want to make, I think I shouldn’t always post them because there are 52,829 similar recipes online.
Broccoli Cheese Soup.
But then I realize that most of my recipes are a bit different than what’s out there (always gotta be different, just ask my mom) and that if you guys want my version of Broccoli Cheese Soup, I need to give it to you!
That doesn’t mean I think mine is the best, because there are some stellar tried-and-true recipes online and in cookbooks, and everyone has different tastes.
But, what I do know is that you’re going to love this Broccoli Cheese Soup! It’s creamy, dreamy, cheesy and has big chunks of perfectly cooked broccoli. *Swoon*
What’s not to love, right?
An extra delicious version of my favorite soup.
And what I think makes it extra special (maybe I’m biased), is that it has some special ingredients in it that take it from semi-good Broccoli Cheese Soup to REALLY delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup.
So what exactly are those ingredients?
- Dried mustard: It comes as a powder in the spice aisle, and it adds insane dimension to soups and casseroles. I like to toss some in to my cheese sauce as well as most of my creamy soups. It’d be stellar in casseroles, too. It just adds such a depth that really cannot be achieved otherwise.
- Cayenne pepper: I almost always add a pinch of cayenne to soups and sauces. Not because I want something so spicy I’ll need to blow my nose every 3 minutes, but because it gives a richness and depth, kind of like the dried mustard. But with a little bit of a spicy bite at the end. Ahhh, it’s so good. Try it out in your next creamy soup or cheese sauce. First taste it without the cayenne, then taste it with. It’s LIFE CHANGING.
- Worcestershire: Just a splash gives everything (yes, you can put it in almost everything) a little bit of umami and umph.
- Lemon juice: Acidic ingredients like citrus juice and vinegars have a salt-like characteristic, and also gives a bright flavor, so next time you’re in the kitchen whipping up something delicious, give it a hit of acid and see what happens.
If you ever taste test a recipe and just think…. “it’s missing something”, add one or more of the above ingredients (and usually salt), and you’ll literally be a food magician.
Okay well apparently I’ve gone back to my cooking class teaching days in this blog post, so I’ll wrap it up.
I just seriously hope you love this soup.Print
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Better-than-restaurant broccoli cheese soup.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots, roughly chopped
- 5 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 head)
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½–2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1–2 teaspoons dried mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼–½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- Splash Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups mild or sharp cheddar, shredded
- Heat butter in a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium. Once melted, add onion and carrot and sauté 4-5 minutes, until soft. Stir in broccoli and place the lid on the pot to steam, stirring occasionally, for about 6-7 minutes or until broccoli is mostly soft. If pan is dry, add a bit more butter or oil. Stir in garlic, salt, mustard powder, black pepper, cayenne and flour.
- Turn heat to medium-high, pour in stock and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cook 5-6 minutes or until soup has thickened. Stir in milk and simmer 2-3 more minutes. Remove pot from the heat and stir in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and cheddar cheese until melted. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 554mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 54g
Keywords: easy, comfort food, delicious, simple, healthy, family friendly, kid friendly