Okay, so earlier this week I posted a reeeeaaalllly long but delicious recipe for shepherd’s pie. This time I am making up for it by posting a simple 3-ingredient recipe. This skillet breakfast with Brussels Sprouts, crispy bacon and eggs will leave you satisfied and ready to take on the day.
Simple without Compromising Taste
And although I think you’ll really like the simplicity, I think you’ll also enjoy how delicious it is. Recipes like this make me giddy because it reminds me that deliciousness can exist when there are only a few ingredients and minimal prep time.
Oftentimes I see recipes that are 5 ingredients or less, or even 10 ingredients or less, but are missing key components to the most important thing: TASTE.
I realize we are all super busy and it’s easy to roll our eyes at recipes that have many ingredients, but we also don’t want to sacrifice deliciousness. So that is just my plug to tell you sometimes, there is a reason for all those spices.
They taste good. 🙂
Anyway, enough of my soap box. Because like I said, there are super awesome 5 ingredient or less recipes out there, and this is one of them.
And my goal here is really to get you to fall in love with Brussels sprouts, if you haven’t already.
The Key to Flavorful Brussels Sprouts
When there’s crispy, salty bacon and a tender, yolky fried egg on top, I think you’ll absolutely enjoy Brussels sprouts. But I also want to mention that the Brussels sprouts themselves are insanely good.
The most important keys to making them taste good is by starting with a thin layer of fat in a relatively hot skillet (preferably cast iron), and to let the Brussels hang out in the hot oil for awhile before stirring.
Same goes for things like pan-fried fish and hash browns – do not touch until the bottoms are crispy. It’s difficult not to stir and stir and stir, but I PROMISE you, great things happen when you don’t stir.
You’ll get an amazing crust on the bottom and the Brussels sprouts will go from drab (think of that frozen box of mushy, smelly Brussels sprouts you were forced to eat as a kid) to fab.
And did I mention bacon and yolky eggs? What a perfect breakfast. Or dinner (I’ve had it twice this week).
Show some love for the Brussels and try this Brussels sprouts breakfast for yourself.Print
Breakfast Brussels Sprouts
A simple & delicious 3-ingredient skillet breakfast with Brussels sprouts, crispy bacon and eggs that will leave you satisfied and ready to take on the day.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- 8 slices all-natural bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 large eggs
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium-medium high heat. Add chopped bacon and cook 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a folded paper towel. Discard about half of the bacon fat. Place the skillet bacon on the heat and add the Brussels sprouts to the hot bacon fat. Cook 8-12 minutes, stirring only occasionally, until browned and crispy and desired doneness is reached, adding a little flavorless oil if pan becomes dry. Season to taste with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Heat a separate large non-stick skillet to medium heat. Coat with cooking spray or a pat of butter. Once hot, crack eggs into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook 2-4 minutes, until white is cooked but yolk is runny. Place a lid on for the last minute to help the whites cook. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve bacon Brussels sprouts with fried eggs.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 419mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 392mg
Keywords: paleo, keto, pan, easy, sauteed, simple