Yep, it’s still soup season (isn’t it all year round, anyway?). But if it happens to be winter time for you, it’s specifically Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup season.
I’m normally 510% sick of winter, but it means soup is still on my mind allll the time, and that’s a good thing. I mean, I think about soup in the summer, too, but I really do enjoy sitting down on my couch, wrapped up in a blanket with a hot bowl of hearty, comforting soup.
Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
So if winter has to be here, I guess I will drown my sorrows in this Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup. Which leads me to the question – do you use soup to cope with winter?
Does soup help you get through the cold days? Do you cozy up with a blanket and consume copious amounts of soup?
Okay, I realize these are odd questions, and “duh” questions, but I just had to get my thoughts out there.
Just a few standard ingredients and you’ll have soup!
And in this soup, the sausage, chicken, potatoes, Italian seasonings and lush, delicious broth will win you over ASAP.
And the fact that it takes no time at all to whip it up and that you probably have most of the items in your pantry/fridge/freezer is another reason to fall head-over-heels.
Oh, and don’t forget to load it up with so much fresh Parm.Print
Tuscan Sausage & Potato Soup
A simple Tuscan-style soup that is loaded with flavor and made with just a few simple ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20-25 min
- Total Time: 30-35 min
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- ½-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- ½-pound ground Italian sausage
- 4–5 cups baby spinach leaves or chopped kale
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 3 small Yukon or red potatoes, diced
- 1–2 tablespoons cream (optional)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. Add onion and carrots and saute 3-4 minutes, until slightly soft. Add diced chicken and sausage and cook 6-7 minutes, breaking up the sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned. Stir in spinach or kale, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Add potatoes and let simmer 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Stir in cream, if using. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve soup in bowls with fresh Parmesan and more black pepper.
Cooking Tip: For extra flavor, add a Parmesan cheese rind to the broth and simmer.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 541mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
Keywords: no cream option, healthy, tasty, delicious, best, easy