There’s so much I can and want to say about this creamy tomato soup with garlic bread croutons.
This is the best creamy tomato soup, ever
I just, I don’t even know where to start. But I do, because I am hungry and this delicious soup is calling my name.
Have you noticed that I post A LOT of soup recipes? Like, A LOT (see below). I have a crazy obsession with a warm bowl of soup with toasty bread or a grilled cheese. I’m sorry, but I just can’t be stopped. And in this case of soup, we have a luscious bowl of creamy tomato soup with pesto. Yes, pesto. This soup is incredibly delish in many ways, but the fact that is has a few dollops of pesto mixed in takes it to the next level. It’s concentrated basil (my most favorite aroma and flavor) with a hint of nuttiness, olive oil and Parmesan. It makes me wonder… why have we not added pesto to our tomato soup all along?
Also, it has this little kick to it, which was done very much on purpose, and I love that about it.
How to make creamy tomato soup with garlic bread croutons…
In addition to the fabulous soup described, there are these croutons, friends. These croutons must’ve fallen from the sky, because they are straight-up heaven.
But actually, they are made in just a few minutes, right in the comfort of your own home. And all it takes is a loaf of sourdough or whole grain bread, cubed, some olive oil, garlic and salt. They are roasted to crunchy perfected, then toss with cheese and melted. In other words, these croutons are like cheesy garlic bread.
So I’ll ask the question again… why haven’t we been have our creamy tomato soup with garlic bread croutons all along??
You may think I’m being crazy right now… for eating soup when it’s 60 degrees out (yay!), but I am one of those who can eat soup all-year-round. And also iced coffee all year round. It’s just a few quirks, you guys. It’s no big deal.
And by the way, those aren’t my only quirks. Jus sayin’, in case you thought for a second that I’m not a total nerd.
Oh, and also, my fave other soups, just in case you forgot: Roasted Balsamic Vegetable Soup, Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup and Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup (a crowd fave, too). Try em out, folks, if you haven’t already!Print
Creamy Tomato Soup with Garlic Bread Croutons
Creamy tomato pesto soup with homemade garlic bread croutons.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 25-30 mins
- Total Time: 35-45 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-Top, Baking
- Cuisine: American
Tomato Pesto Soup:
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 32 ounce + 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 32 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup half and half or cream
Garlic Bread Croutons:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 loaf sourdough or whole grain bread, cubed
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot to medium heat. Add onion and saute 4-5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and saute 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Add dried basil, dried oregano and crushed red pepper flakes/cayenne pepper. Stir in tomato paste and pesto.
- Bring heat to medium-high and add diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Puree soup using a stick blender, until smooth. Optional step: Send portions of soup through a fine mesh strainer, into a bowl, using a spatula to assist. Pour soup back into the pot. Stir in half and half or cream. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic powder and salt. Place cubed bread into the bowl and toss to combine. Spread bread cubes out onto a large baking sheet. Bake for 8-9 minutes, until crispy.
- Sprinkle cheese on croutons and bake for an additional 3 minutes, until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Serve as a garnish for tomato soup.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 396
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 635mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Keywords: basil pesto, creamy, mozzarella cheese, easy, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, healthy, homemade croutons