I hope you guys aren’t getting tired of my yolky eggs because I’ve got a lineup of breakfast skillets, three ways for you in today’s post and that’s the focus.
And to be honest with you, it won’t be the last time you see runny, delicious eggs-on-top around here. I just can’t get enough, and today is even more special than normal, because I have three incredible skillet recipes to share with you. And you know what goes perfectly with skillets…? (Hint: it’s an over easy egg).
What’s also super cool is all three of these recipes are super-fast, and are perfect for weeknight meals. I know you’ve all been in that same place – where you walk in the door at night without dinner plans – and I promise. We can get through this together. We can eat skillets together, you guys.
Breakfast skillets, three ways: an option for everyone!
So the first skillet is Mexican Black Bean & Sweet Potato Skillet (maybe my favorite?). It’s sweet potatoes, bell peppers, black beans, chili powder and cumin, all topped with avocado and fresh lime juice. Oh, and those eggs.
I highly recommend serving it in corn tortillas with scallions and Greek yogurt. YUM.
The next is Italian Turkey Sausage & Cannellini Bean Skillet, which is absolutely packed with flavor. This skillet is loaded with turkey sausage, garlic, zucchini, roasted red peppers, cannellini beans and Italian seasoning, and is topped with… wait for it… eggs. Plus some parsley and crushed red peppa flakes for bright color and a lil heat. Spoon it up on some crusty French bread, and life is good.
Which one will you make?
Last, but not least, is the Mediterranean Breakfast Skillet. It’s similar to my Mediterranean “Hercules” Skillet, with just a few minor differences (mainly spices). My hubs actually likes this one better because he isn’t a fan of coriander (sigh). This one allows oregano to be the star of the show, along with beef or lamb, cherry tomatoes, feta, Yukon golds and kalamata olives. With eggs.
So I really can’t decide which is my favorite; they’re all sooooo delicious. And like I said, so super quick you’ll definitely have time to make each of them this week. What a delicious week we’re going to have!Print
Mexican Black Bean & Sweet Potato Skillet
This delicious weeknight skillet features sweet potatoes, bell peppers, black beans, chili powder and cumin and is topped with avocado and fresh lime juice.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 Safest Choice™ pasteurized eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, wedged
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced
- Toasted corn tortillas, for serving
- Heat canola oil in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet to medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and saute 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and saute an additional 30 seconds. Add black beans, sweet potatoes, chili powder, cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beans and sweet potatoes are hot.
- Scoop hash onto 4 dinner plates. Heat skillet again to medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Crack eggs into the plate and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Allow to cook until white starts to set, about 2 minutes. Turn skillet to low heat and cover with a lid. Cook an additional minute, just until the white is set on top but yolk is runny. Place cooked eggs on plated hash.
- Garnish with avocado, lime wedges and scallions and serve with toasted corn tortillas.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 446
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 594 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 16 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 183 mg
Keywords: easy, simple, best, from scratch, homemade, tasty, healthy