I’m not kidding when I say these taco lettuce cups take LESS THAN 20 minutes to make – start to finish – and satisfy all the taco cravings. Yes, it happens to be Tuesday when I’m posting these bad boys, but I’ll be eating these on all the days for a very long time because they’re THAT good. And light and refreshing at the same time.
The filling and topping options for these taco lettuce cups are endless.
You can really put whatever your favorite taco toppings are on these cups, such as fruit salsas, guacamole, green onion, fajita peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, cilantro, cheeses galore, fresh lime juice, and the list goes on. Full disclosure: if you have leftover fruit salsa or want to whip up a batch (diced fresh mango or pineapple, minced red onion and jalapeno, chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice), it would be DYNAMITE on this.
And you can use whatever protein you’re into. You can do beef, chicken, turkey, pork, tofu, or even double the can of beans for a meatless taco rendition. Really, the sky is the limit here and it should take less than 20 minutes regardless.
So basically what I’m saying is taco lettuce cups should become a new weeknight rotation in your household because they check all of the boxes: easy, fast, delicious, nutritious. EVERY BOX, you guys!
And I don’t believe I mentioned it yet, but if you haven’t tried making your own taco seasoning, I highly recommend it. I like to use chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder and garlic powder + however much salt and black pepper you prefer + cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes as needed for heat. I love to be in control of the ingredients that go in to my food, and this concoction is one very simple way to do so! You can make a big batch and use it to season burrito bowl, enchilada and taco meat + it’s delicious in chili. Yum, yum.
This will become your new favorite superfast, yet craveable, weeknight dish.Print
Taco Lettuce Cups
Easy weeknight taco cups with all the fixins’.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1-pound lean ground beef, chicken or turkey
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 heads Bibb or Boston lettuce, peeled into cups
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- ½ cup fresh salsa
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Heat the oil in a large skillet to medium. Add the ground beef, chicken or turkey and sauté for 6-7 minutes or until fully cooked, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the black beans, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Stir until fragrant. Add ¼ cup of water and bring to a simmer until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Spoon taco meat into lettuce cups and top each with diced avocado, fresh salsa and dollops of Greek yogurt. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 361mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
Keywords: lettuce cups, taco cups, tacos, low carb, Mexican, easy, quick, weeknight