These sweet corn & bacon fritters are super flavorful, perfect for summer (or any time), and made with sharp cheddar cheese, smoked paprika and fresh lime juice.
\Serve them with creamy chive yogurt dip for pure deliciousness.
What a way to use that fresh summer sweet corn!
When it’s summertime, I absolutely enjoy every last bit of the summer produce. Basically, you have to have to tear it out of my hands while I kick and scream because I never want it to go away.
Sweet corn is the star of today’s show, and I just cannot get over how gorgeous the ears are with their little speckles of yellow and white. I love traditional boiled corn, but I also love grilling or roasting it for a bit extra flavor and texture.
When I boil corn, I cook it for 20 minutes. When I grill or roast it, I brush it with oil and cook over medium to medium high heat (375-400) for about 15 minutes. However you choose to take your corn, I’m game.
How to make sweet corn & bacon fritters
Now if you’re up for taking that corn to the next level, it’s time to discuss these fritters. It entails the roasty sweet corn, salty bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, corn meal, eggs, milk, smoked paprika, cayenne and other spices, mixed together and shallow fried so they have a crispy browned exterior and tender interior.
They’re spicy, cheesy, corny (I had to) and just super duper delicious.
You’ll also enjoy the cool and creamy chive dip made with yogurt or sour cream, chives and black pepper. YUM.
This recipe is pure deliciousness.Print
Sweet Corn & Bacon Fritters
Fresh sweet corn and bacon fritters with cheddar cheese, lime and smoked paprika.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hr
- Yield: 18 fritters / Serves 6 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stove-Top, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 medium ears corn, husks removed
- 4–5 tablespoons oil, divided
- 4–6 strips bacon, chopped
- ½ cup corn meal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 large eggs
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 4–5 fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place ears of corn in a baking dish and coat evenly with about 1 tablespoon oil. Roast about 15 minutes. Let slightly cool, then slice corn from the ear. Discard ears.
- In a Dutch oven to large pot, cook bacon crumbles over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, whisk together corn meal, flour, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and baking powder until combined. Mix in milk, eggs, lime zest and juice, cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles and sweet corn until combined.
- Add remaining oil to the Dutch oven or pot and heat to medium. Working in batches, use a cookie scoop to drop dollops of fritter batter into the oil. Fry 2-3 minutes per side, until browned and crispy on both sides and set. Remove fritters and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt or sour cream, chives and black pepper. Serve with fritters.
To Reheat: Heat broiler to low and toast fritters until crispy.
- Serving Size: 3 fritters
- Calories: 367
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 486
- Fat: 23
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 16
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 16
- Cholesterol: 147
Keywords: summer, seasonal, easy, quick, healthy, simple, fresh, baked