Guys, I’m here with a soup recipe. And it’s summer. But it is Vegetable Minestrone, and it has ALL of the delicious vegetables!
Vegetable minestrone soup with all the fixins’
Here’s why I’m coming at you with another soup recipe:
- I freaking love soup. This is absolutely not secret, and you all know this. I have more soup recipes on my blog than anything else, and even when it’s a bit of a scorcher outside, soup is in the back of my mind. I just love it.
- We all need more veggies in our life. This soup features zucchini (because most gardens have oodles of it and we run out of things to make), fresh basil, greens (spinach, kale or the like) and mirepoix. And then some pantry staples like beans and pasta and canned tomatoes.
- Soup makes everyone feel good. Whether it’s chilly outside or not, soup helps everyone feel cozy and comforted which we all need right about now.
So yeah, I made soup.
This recipe can be made vegetarian or add Italian sausage, if you’re feeling frisky!
And not only does it have those beautiful veggies and herbs, it has pasta, beans and can easily host ground Italian sausage or cubed chicken breast, if you want to make it a full meal. Plus, the broth is KILLER.
The trick is to use high-quality stock (homemade or I like Kitchen Basics brand), fire-roasted tomatoes with the juice (or homemade) and toss a fresh Parmesan rind into the mix while it simmers.
You’ll no longer want a broth soup or broth that hasn’t been simmered in Parmesan. Trust me.
All in favor of (this) soup, say “I”.Print
A summer inspired minestrone soup made with zucchini, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, cannellini beans and pasta in a Parmesan broth.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced*
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves or chopped kale
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup whole grain elbow pasta
- 4–4 ½ cups unsalted vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 fresh Parmesan cheese rind
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil to medium. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook 7-8 minutes or until soft. Add spinach/kale, garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper and sauté 1-2 minutes, until greens are wilted.
- Add diced tomatoes with juice, beans, pasta, stock and Parmesan rind to the pot and bring to a slow simmer. Cook 8-10 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente. Stir in zucchini and cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Scoop minestrone into bowls and top with fresh basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Discard the Parmesan rind or save for another use.
Cooking Tips: Add ground Italian sausage or cubed chicken breast for a higher protein soup. Be sure it’s slightly browned on the exterior before adding the liquid ingredients (tomatoes, stock) and be sure it’s fully cooked before consuming.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 895mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
Keywords: easy, ideas, vegetable soup, summer, vegetable, healthy