Friends, I have something extra-special for you today. Spiced veggie naan pizzas.
Spiced veggie naan pizzas for the win!
It’s pizza. But really it’s Indian-ish / Mediterranean-ish food. And you know how much I love to combine two (or more) things to make something stellar.
That’s how this ——> happened. Spiced Veggie Naan Pizzas. For real. Fluffy skillet flatbread, creamy hummus, flavor-packed veggies, briny olives and tangy feta can be in your mouth right now.
How do you feel about that? Read on for deets.
How to make naan from scratch!
If you haven’t made naan from scratch before, I highly recommend. It’s a mixture of whole wheat pastry flour, honey, yeast and yogurt (and just a pinch of a few other things), and it gets pan-fried in a super hot skillet until it’s fluffy on the inside and crispy brown on the outside.
Seriously, what else could you possibly need in life?
And on top of that… literally… is a smattering of lemony hummus and a heap of spice-roasted veggies.
This hummus is one of my all-time favorite recipes, because it has a ton of garlic and lemon, and is incredibly smooth. I recommend making a batch now so you can dip, spread and make naan pizzas for days.
And the veggies…. are doused in olive oil and oregano, paprika, coriander, cumin, turmeric and red pepper flakes and roasted til crispy and delicious. It’s just surreal.
Plus, the finishing pizza touches include mixed Greek olives (YUM), feta cheese and a fried egg, if you’re feeling sassy.
Spiced veggie naan pizzas are a real thing, and I want you to try it out.
Today is a good day.Print
Spiced Veggie Naan Pizzas
Homemade naan pizzas topped with hummus and spiced veggies.
- Prep Time: 25-30 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Makes 6 pizzas 1x
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American, Indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup warm water
- 0.25-ounce packet active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 2 zucchini and/or summer squash, sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup hummus
- ½ cup mixed olives
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- In a stand mixer bowl, stir together warm water and honey until the honey has dissolved. Add yeast and stir to combine. Allow to rest 5-10 minutes until yeast is foamy. Turn the mixer on low speed. Gradually add flour, baking powder, salt yogurt and egg. Increase speed to medium-low and continue mixing the dough for 2-3 minutes, or until the dough is smooth.
- Remove dough from the mixing bowl and use your hands to shape it into a ball. Grease the mixing bowl with cooking spray, then place the dough back in the bowl and cover with a damp towel. Place in a warm location and allow to rise for 1 hour, until the dough has nearly doubled in size.
- Once the dough is ready, transfer it to a floured work surface. Cut the dough into 6 separate pieces. Use your hands to spread dough piece so it is flat and ¼ inch thick. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add a piece of the rolled-out dough to the pan and cook for 1 minute, or until the dough begins to bubble and the bottoms turns lightly golden. Flip the dough and cook on the second side for 30-60 seconds, or until the bottom is golden. Transfer the naan to a separate plate and cover with a towel. Repeat until all pieces of naan are cooked.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place carrots, zucchini/squash, cauliflower and chickpeas on a large baking sheet and coat with olive oil. In a small bowl, mix together oregano, cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Sprinkle over vegetables and toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes, or until tender and crispy.
- Spread hummus on each piece of naan. Top with roasted vegetables, olives, feta and fried egg (if using). Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Cooking Tip: Make your own hummus using my favorite recipe!
- Serving Size: 1 naan pizza
- Calories: 594
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 714mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 85g
- Fiber: 20g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
Keywords: easy, oven, with yogurt, pizza, homemade, vegetarian, healthy