Guess what’s on today’s menu? Grilled shrimp tacos with chorizo beans & mango salsa. What, what?!
Yes, we have 3 super simple recipes wrapped into one here, that will also be wrapped into grilled corn tortillas and drizzled with lime crema.
You’re going to want to stick around, folks.
How to make grilled shrimp tacos with chorizo beans & mango salsa
First, how to make chorizo beans
It all starts with a batch of black beans cooked with chorizo and mango juice. If you can’t find mango juice or nectar, use fresh orange juice or water.
Simply cook a few ounces of ground chorizo, then mix in a can of drained and rinsed black beans and the mango juice and let them simmer for a bit, until they’re thickened and smell heavenly.
It’s really simple, but the flavor is out-of-this-world.
Second, how to make grilled smoky shrimp
Next, you’ll grill the shrimp. These can be eaten as-is, but I do highly suggest saving a few to put on the tacos. I use raw large shrimp that have been deveined and peeled.
Sometimes I can find them without the tail as well, which just makes life even easier. If using frozen, transfer them from the bag into a colander and rinse them under cold water until they’re thawed.
Then, pat them dry with paper towel before cooking (I do this with fresh, too).
Then, brush the shrimp with oil and dust them with the chili powder, smoked paprika and salt mixture.
Grill them until the tails just curl and they’re opaque. If it’s nice out, they taste fabulous on the grill, but if not, you can also make these on a grill pan or in a skillet.
And that’s it – the shrimp are ready!
Third, how to make mango salsa and lime crema
Last, but not least, the mango salsa is made from fresh diced mango, finely diced red onion, chopped cilantro, lime juice and a little salt.
You can make this first and refrigerate it so it has a chance for the flavors to meld. You can also buy mango salsa in the produce aisle if you don’t feel like chopping.
The lime crema to drizzle on top is simply a mix of plain Greek yogurt and fresh lime juice. You could also use mayo.
Either way, it’s freaking good.
The chorizo beans, grilled shrimp, mango salsa and lime crema all get packed inside grilled corn tortillas and are devoured immediately.
Enjoy these grilled shrimp tacos with chorizo beans and mango salsa, friends!Print
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Chorizo Beans & Mango Salsa
Grilled shrimp tacos smeared with chorizo beans, topped with mango salsa and spicy aioli.
- Prep Time: 20-25 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 30-40 mins
- Yield: 8 tacos 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Grilling, Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 fresh mangoes, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2-ounces pork chorizo
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup mango nectar or juice (or orange juice or water)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 pounds large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- 8 small corn tortillas, toasted or grilled
- ¼ cup Cotija, Chihuahua or Queso Fresco cheese
- To make mango salsa: Combine mango, red onion, lime zest, lime juice, cilantro and salt in a bowl. Mix and set aside.
- To make beet chorizo beans: Heat small saucepan to medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook until browned; drain of excess fat. Add black beans and mango juice; reduce heat and place lid on saucepan and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional mango juice if mixture becomes dry.
- To grilled shrimp: Heat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush the shrimp with the oil. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, smoked paprika and salt. Evenly coat the shrimp with the spice mixture. Place the shrimp on the grill and cook 2-3 minutes, flipping once, until the shrimp are opaque and tails are curled in. Transfer to a plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and lime juice until combined. To assemble tacos, scoop a few tablespoons of chorizo beans in each tortilla. Place 3-4 shrimp on top of chorizo beans. Top with crumbly cheese, mango salsa and lime yogurt.
Cooking Tip: You can also cook the shrimp in a skillet over medium heat, as well.
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 438mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 174mg
Keywords: easy, simple, best, healthy, from scratch, seafood, grilled