Today’s delightful recipe is as simple as it gets. It’s a simple Mediterranean kale salad.
A simple kale Mediterranean salad
I’ll start by telling you that I’m not the biggest fan of kale.
Well, at least I didn’t use to be, but have now discovered several ways that I really enjoy it.
- Raw, in a salad. It’s crunchy and has a very mild flavor, and is sturdy enough to hold up to dressing. I can even keep this salad – fully dressed – in a container overnight and eat it the next day (with enjoyment). Yes!
- As chips. Salty and crispy. ‘nough said.
- In soup. Sign me up for some Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup. Any day, any time.
What I don’t love is kale sautéed as a side dish. Or in an egg dish. I don’t know… it’s just never been my thing because it seems to get bitter or overwhelms the dish.
Does anyone have any kale tricks up their sleeves to help a girl out?
All those Mediterranean flavors in one bowl!
Okay, back to what I do love.
I love this salad. It’s everything you’d expect in a Mediterranean salad: briny Kalamata olives, juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, salty feta, and spicy Pepperoncini.
Then, it’s tossed in one of my favorite dressings: olive oil, fresh lemon juice, honey, loads of oregano and just the right of salt and cracked black pepper.
You could also toss some tuna or chicken on there to make it a complete meal.
Maybe even some garbanzo beans and roasted red peppers? Sky’s the limit.
And I promise if you’re a kale skeptic, you won’t be after this salad – at least if it’s served raw. Or with tortellini.
Yes, yes, yes!Print
Mediterranean Kale Salad
A simple kale salad with cucumber, kalamata olives, tomatoes and feta with a lemon olive oil dressing.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 10-15 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Salad, Side
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 4 cups chopped kale or other greens
- 1 ½ cups cucumber, spiralized or diced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Pepperoncini and/or roasted red peppers
- Cooked tuna or chicken breast (optional)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together kale, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, feta and Pepperoncini and/or roasted red peppers.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon zest and juice, honey and olive oil. Whisk in oregano and salt and pepper, to taste. Toss dressing with salad, a few tablespoons at a time.
Cooking Tip: Massage the kale pieces in a little bit of olive oil prior to assembling the salad.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 372mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
Keywords: easy, simple, dressing, raw, no cook, healthy, massaged