I freakin’ love potato salad. But especially this simple dijon potato salad.
I don’t know if it’s a Midwest thing, but potato salad is seriously everywhere, and it makes the perfect side for pretty much any summer meal. It’s refreshing, hearty and nostalgic of all the summer potlucks growing up.
My mom made a simple homemade version every once in awhile, but her specialty was macaroni salad. I would sit down and eat those salads by the bowlful, and to this day, potato and pasta salads are a must-have during the warmer months.
But, like most of my other recipes, I can’t just leave the classics alone. I just have to remake them, partially because my taste buds have changed over the years but also because I like to ‘elevate’ things, if you will, from a nutrition standpoint (and add some more flava).
Mayo is my BEST friend, but at 33 years old, I should probably not sit down and eat bowlfuls of creamy mayo salads. I honestly wish I could, but it’s just not the best idea at this point. 😉 With that said, I always strive to make my new recipes equally or even more delicious than the classic. It’s not an easy thing to do, but it can be done. Promise!
So let me tell you allll about this Simple Dijon Potato Salad.
- I use baby Yukon gold potatoes because I absolutely love their texture, and I love their bright yellow hue. They’re absolutely dynamite in a salad like this one.
- I add a TON of hard boiled eggs because I am obsessed, and will find any excuse to eat more hard boiled eggs. I also chop the eggs and baby potatoes into large pieces because it gives the potato salad a more grown-up, sophisticated look (can potato salad be sophisticated?) which makes me happy. I love pretty food.
- The dressing is so very simple and contains ingredients that almost all of us have on hand: Olive oil, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, honey, salt and black pepper. Insanely good, insanely balanced flavors. You honestly will not be sad about the no-mayo thing. And that’s coming from a mayo lover.
- And last, but not least, I grab a handful of herbs, give them a rough chop and throw them on top of the potato salad for that freshy fresh. And to add some pretty green color to the dish. Remember, I love pretty food.
Now go eat some potato salad. XOXO.Print
Simple Dijon Potato Salad
Simple Dijon Potato Salad with Yukon potatoes, hard boiled egg and celery tossed in a light Dijon vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 50 min
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove-Top, No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 6 large eggs
- 2 ½–3 lbs. baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved or quartered
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾–1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3–4 stalks celery, diced and/or 3–4 scallions, sliced
- Handful of freshly chopped herbs, for garnish
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once the water boils, shut the heat off and place a lid on the pan. Set a timer for 16-17 minutes. When the timer goes off, drain water and either rinse eggs with cold water or place in an ice water bath until chilled. Peel and discard shells. Chop eggs into quarters.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and simmer until just tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, Dijon, vinegar, honey, salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Fold in potatoes, eggs and celery/scallions until combined. Place a lid on the bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
Storage Tip: Store potato salad in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If potato salad becomes dry after a day or two, whip up half a batch of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 521
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 112
Keywords: summer, holiday, family friendly, entertaining, party salad, healthy, easy, simple