There are oodles of sweet zucchini bread recipes out there, and that they’re pretty much the go-to way to use up garden zucchini (I know, I have two of them on my site – and they’re to-die-for). There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I will say that this savory zucchini bread with cheese is a welcomed addition to the world of summer quick breads.
Yes, I did say cheese.
How to make savory zucchini bread
Basically, this recipe is still a quick bread, meaning there is no yeast involved and it doesn’t need time to rise or anything crazy like that, which I totally love.
The steps to make it are incredibly easy, too, and it results in a tender, savory and delightful loaf of bread with loads of zucchini, herbs and spices and CHEESE (I will not stop talking about the cheese).
Here are the steps to make this quick bread:
- Whisk together the wet ingredients. This includes melted butter and olive oil, of which I use both because I like both of their flavors in this recipe. You seriously cannot go wrong with olive oil and butter. Next comes either milk or beer. I haven’t tried it with beer, but I imagine like most beer breads, it would add a nice fluffy texture and malty flavor that would be absolutely divine. I use milk because I almost always had it on hand, and it was delish (you could also try buttermilk). Then, mix in the eggs.
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Whenever I’m making a quick bread or muffin recipe (or any baked good, really), I mix together the dry stuff first to be sure it is well-combined before adding any wet ingredients. This assures a perfectly baked loaf rather than one that has pockets of baking soda or something crazy. In this bread, I use whole wheat pastry flour and all-purpose flour because I like getting some fiber and hearty texture from the whole wheat (and pastry flour is finer ground than regular, so it’s a fave in my pantry), but I also like the texture of all-purpose flour. So it only makes sense to use both. However, you can just use one or the other if you’d like. I whisk in some baking powder, salt, black pepper, thyme, onion powder and garlic powder because it makes the bread taste simply amazing. Think of it like a focaccia as far as seasonings go.
- Finally, you’ll fold the dry and wet ingredients together until just combined with the shredded zucchini and cheeses. I cannot express enough how important it is to not overmix a quick bread batter because it’ll become tough and chewy. Just fold until everything comes together. I saved a little cheddar to spinkle on top of the bread while baking, but you do you, my friend.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and let it cool! And voila! You have a fabulous loaf of focaccia-ish zucchini quick bread with CHEESE.
If you still have zucchini leftover, these recipes are for you:
- Sweet Corn & Zucchini Gnocchi Skillet
- Ricotta & Beef Zucchini Roll-Ups
- Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Muffins
- Cinnamon Crunch Zucchini Banana Bread
- Crispy Zucchini Fritters
Savory Zucchini Bread
Savory quick bread with loads of zucchini, Parmesan and cheddar cheese.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 30-40 mins
- Total Time: 40-55 mins
- Yield: Serves 12 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup milk or beer
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (from about 1 large zucchini)
- ½ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, melted butter, milk and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and thyme until combined. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and shredded cheeses until just combined.
- Bake 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan. Let slightly cool, then slice and serve.
Cooking Tip: Don’t overmix the batter. Simply fold the ingredients together just until mixed for a tender product.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 340mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
Keywords: quick bread, bread, summer, savory, baking, baked goods