Fall is upon us, and all I want is squash. This deliciously satisfying salad fills that desire by featuring perfectly roasted acorn squash, wheat berries, feta cheese and your choice of greens!
Slight squash obsession.
I stopped at the supermarket to pick up some groceries and knew I wanted to make this squash salad. I walked over to the produce area and there was an overflowing crate of beautiful acorn squashes to pick from. Cream, speckled, green, orange, and beyond. I had to force myself not to buy every single one because they were so gorg. Reluctantly, I grabbed 3, put my tail between my legs and walked to checkout.
Just kidding, I was totally fine and slept great that night even though I didn’t go home with all the squashes. What is wrong with me?
Anyway, just look at how amazing these beauties are, and how excited are you to make the salad and I haven’t even talked about it yet?!
The goodness within this fall salad.
I roasted them with oil, brown sugar, salt and pepper (simple is best) until they were glistening, fork tender and the house smelled amazing. Those are specific recipe directions, so don’t mess it up. I tossed the golden squash wedges with greens, wheat berries, feta, dried cranberries and walnuts, and it couldn’t be more fall. I love it.
And the dressing is lemon zest and juice (always the zest), champagne vinegar, honey and olive oil (again, simple is best). There is nothing crazy or complicated about this salad, and it’s just perfect. Also, did you notice I just rhymed without even trying?
I think this salad will look amazing on your Thanksgiving table, just sayin’.
Do you Instagram?
And, if you’re following me on Instagram – and you should be – you can see how I make all of these recipes in my stories. Yes! I’m doing story after story now because these recipes are my job (I repeat THESE RECIPES ARE MY JOB) and I want you to experience all of the adventures and shenanigans. So yeah, follow me on Instagram, along with all of my other social channels. I also wanna see and hear about it when you make my recipes, so please snap a photo and hashtag at me: #thegourmetRD.
Time to eat salad, now. XOXO.Print
Roasted Acorn Squash, Wheat Berry & Feta Salad
A deliciously satisfying salad that’s perfect for fall featuring perfectly roasted acorn squash, wheat berries, feta cheese and your choice of greens!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner, Salad
- Method: Baking, No-Cook
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 medium acorn squashes, cut in wedges
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked wheat berries
- 2 cup greens (spinach, arugula, kale)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and brown sugar. Coat squash wedges in oil/sugar mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange on the baking sheet. Roast 30-35 minutes, until fork tender.
- Combine squash wedges, wheat berries, greens, feta, dried cranberries and pecans/walnuts in a large serving bowl or platter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients and season to taste. Toss salad with dressing and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 397
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 423 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: vegetarian, healthy, easy, winter, delicious, roasted, whole grains