You’re in for a real treat today, folks. That’s because we’re cooking up my favorite pumpkin eggnog French toast.
Spiced pumpkin bread dipped in an eggnog batter, served with sugared cranberries. It’s the perfect holiday breakfast!
The perfect holiday breakfast: pumpkin eggnog French toast
It’s the perfect mash-up of warm, cozy fall flavors that just happen to be giving me all the feels on the first snowy day of November.
Yesterday it was 65 degrees at noon, and 3 hours later it was windy and 35.
Yes, I’m in the midwest, and this is just how life is.
Most of us deal with it by bundling up next to the fireplace with a comforting bowl of deliciousness, and today that deliciousness just happens to be Pumpkin Eggnog French Toast with a smattering of sugared cranberries.
French toast is sweet comfort food
For me, comfort food is typically a heaping of chili or pasta, but once in a blue moon I have a sweet tooth, or really, a breakfast-food tooth, so I went with French toast instead.
But it’s important to note that this is not any ordinary French toast. It’s made with the world’s most amazing Spiced Pumpkin Bread, cut into thick slices and dipped in a luxurious batter of eggnog, pure vanilla extract and holiday spices, and toasted to a crisp in a hot cast iron skillet.
So when you go in for a bite, you get this rich, eggnoggy crust with fluffy, pumpkiny goodness on the inside.
All topped with cranberries that have been soaked in simple syrup and tossed in raw sugar to add an extra little burst of flavor with every bite.
Ahhh… I just can’t believe it’s real.
I told you it wasn’t ordinary French toast.
If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy these:
- Cranberry Maple French Toast Cups
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread
- Apple Cranberry Bread Pudding
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Pumpkin Eggnog French Toast
Spiced pumpkin bread dipped in an eggnog batter, served with sugared cranberries makes the perfect holiday breakfast in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 75 mins
- Yield: 10 Servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Baking, Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oat flour (or whole wheat pastry, whole wheat, all-purpose)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Eggnog French Toast:
- 1 cup egg nog
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of each ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves
- Butter or cooking spray
- Sugared cranberries* or other berries, for garnish
- Pure maple syrup, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, oil, eggs and brown sugar until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, slowly, whisking until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle top with granulated sugar. Bake 55-65 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Once bread is cooled, slice into 10 slices.
- Heat a large skillet, cast iron pan or griddle to medium-high heat. Grease with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg nog, eggs, vanilla extract and spices. Dip pumpkin bread slices into the eggnog mixture, then place in the skillet. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes, until browned, then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining slices of pumpkin bread. Serve with sugared cranberries, berries and/or maple syrup.
Cooking Tip: To make sugared cranberries, soak 1 cup cranberries in hot water with 4 tablespoons sugar or sweetener (such as stevia) for 30 minutes. Drain sugar water and toss cranberries with turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw).
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 277 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 111 mg
Keywords: best, sugared cranberries, baked, holiday, seasonal, comfort food, pumpkin spice