There are recipes that you make every once in a while, and there are recipes that you make pretty much every week like this orecchiette, brussels sprouts and sausage skillet.
This is one of those recipes I make every. almost single. week.
It takes very little effort but has all the components of a stellar meal and tastes incredible.
Orecchiette, Brussels sprouts & sausage skillet
It all begins with olive oil, spicy Italian sausage with crispy edges, loads of dried oregano, five cups of veggies (yes, 5!) that give the dish color, texture and so much nutrition without even really noticing, and is finished off with perfectly al dente orecchiette pasta, more olive oil and salty Parmesan cheese.
If that doesn’t sound like a scrumptious weeknight meal, I don’t know what does.
A weeknight dinner you’ll make… weekly
Also, have you had orecchiette before? These little pasta ears that have an incredible texture and an indentation that hold all the sauce, butter and/or olive oil? Sign me up.
It’s probably my favorite pasta shape, although that’s a tough decision because I am a major pasta connoisseur and I hate to make any shape feel sub par.
Because seriously… if you put a bowl of pasta in front of me, I’ll eat it. But there’s just something special about orecchiette. You understand, right?
Anyway, get this skillet going, serve it for dinner and don’t tell the family it has five cups of greens in it. It’ll be our little secret.Print
Orecchiette, Brussels Sprouts & Sausage Skillet
A simple weeknight skillet with pasta, five cups of green veggies and sausage.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Dinner, Pasta
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- ½-pound orecchiette pasta
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-pound spicy ground Italian sausage (all-natural)
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼–½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook orecchiette according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil to medium. Add sausage and cook until slightly browned, about 3 minutes, stirring to break up the sausage. Stir in Brussels sprouts and cook 4-5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook 3-4 minutes, until spinach is wilted and sausage is completely browned. Stir in garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir in cooked orecchiette and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve with freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 613mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 18g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
Keywords: easy, simple, healthy, green veggies, weeknight, skillet, family friendly