This nearly hands-off breakfast recipe is insanely delicious and loaded with flavors and textures. It’s the perfect meal when you’re on the run and want something more substantial than a coffee shop muffin!
Get my recipe for morning glory overnight oats and you won’t go hungry.
The best make-ahead breakfast: morning glory overnight oats
- Oats. Are full of soluble fiber and will help keep you full and satisfied.
- Chia seeds. Don’t forget the chia seeds! Itty bitty chia seeds plump up when they’re in liquid, which makes them a pretty amazing natural thickener!
- Apples. Some delicious apples to keep on hand are Honeycrisp, Gala, and Pink Lady. Honeycrisp apples are sweet with a nice crunch that lends them to overnight oatmeal. And Gala and Pink Lady apples have a bit of bright tanginess that pairs incredibly well with this oatmeal.
- Raisins: I love raisins in this oatmeal! I used brown raisins, but swapping out half the brown raisins with golden raisins would be a fun and colorful addition too! You could also use dried cranberries, dried dates, or even dried prunes!
- Walnuts: I love the lightly savory and buttery flavor that walnuts bring to these morning glory chia overnight oats. But almonds would be a great swap-in, and you can’t ever go wrong with pistachios in oatmeal!
- Coconut. Keeping unsweetened coconut on hand is like always having a helping hand in the pantry or cupboard. It’s flavorful, it’s beautiful, and it adds the perfect amount of coconut goodness to desserts, granola, fruit salads, and even savory dishes like chicken and coconut curry!
How to enjoy overnight oats
One question people ask is, “Should I eat the overnight oats cold, or do I heat them up?” My answer is: Eat them any way you want to!
You can heat them up in the microwave, or you can eat them cold from the jar.
But, my recommendation is, even if you think you would like them better heated – try a bite of them as is. As in, cold. It’s like eating the best cold cereal you’ve ever tasted!
Recipe Substitutions & Alterations
- Sweetener: If you don’t have natural maple syrup on hand, feel free to substitute honey as an alternative.
- Milk: You can use dairy milk like I did, but you can also use plant or nut-based milks! Unsweetened almond, cashew, or coconut milks would be amazing with these oats! And oat milk would be absolutely scrumptious! But definitely make sure the oat milk is unsweetened. It has an intrinsic natural sweetness, so you don’t need any additional sugar. The oat milk checks the “sweet” box, for the overnight oats!
- To make gluten free: Choose certified gluten free oats.
- To make dairy free: Choose dairy free milk.
- To make vegan: Choose plant-based milk.
Other make-ahead breakfasts:
- Broccoli Cheese Egg Muffins
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal in a Cup
- Chorizo and Cauliflower Frittata
- Caramelized Banana and Peanut Butter Oatmeal
- Sourdough and Sausage Strata
Morning Glory Overnight Oats
Easy make-ahead overnight oats made with apple, carrots, coconut, raisins and walnuts.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 10-15 mins
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1–2 tablespoons pure maple syrup + more for serving
- 2 ¾ cups milk
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots, divided
- 1 medium apple, diced, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- ½ cup raisins, divided
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together oats, chia seeds, maple syrup, milk and salt. Stir in half of the carrots, apple, coconut and raisins. Transfer to jars with a lid and refrigerate overnight.
- Top overnight oats with remaining carrots, apples, coconut, raisins and walnuts and serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Storage Tips: Store overnight oats in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 447
- Sugar: 29g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
Keywords: healthy, without yogurt, easy, apples, chai tea latte, make ahead, do ahead, on the go