You know how much I love soup and even when it’s the middle of summer and super mega hot, I still love a good bowl of soup. It seems like a lot of people like soup because it warms them up in the cold winter months, but I find soup equally satisfying all-year-round, especially when it’s reminiscent of one of my favorite summer salads – Mexican street corn chowder.
Let’s make Mexican street corn chowder
Yes, I’m referring to Mexican street corn salad (remember a few years ago when I made this salad into a pie?). It’s packed with fresh sweet corn, onion, jalapeno, lime, cilantro and Queso fresco, so how can it not be absolutely delicious? And because I love mashing up my favorite dishes into something new and exciting, why not make a summer chowder with these same flavors?
I can’t think of any valid reason to say no right now, you guys.
So many reasons to make soup in the summertime…
I also love how versatile this chowder recipe is, because even though sweet corn is in season right now (and it’s bursting with juiciness), but what’s awesome is the canned variety can easily be used, and it’s equally delicious! That means YOU (and I) can have this summer Mexican street corn chowder year round.
And all that really matters is that this dish tastes like summer freshness wrapped up in a bowl of chowder, and it takes less than 30 minutes to throw together.
Cheers to refreshing bowls of sweet corn chowder, friends!
Don’t forget to pick up a copy of my Simple Soups eCookbook, too!
This chowder + 26 other amazing soup recipes are in my ecookbook! It’s a must-have for all the best fall soups (winter, spring and summer, too!).
Other super sweet corn recipes you’ll need:
- Sweet Corn & Zucchini Gnocchi Skillet
- Sweet Corn & Bacon Fritters
- Mexican Street Corn Pie
- Summer Succotash with Grilled Corn
- (Cowboy) Texas Caviar
Mexican Street Corn Chowder
A simple summer chowder with sweet corn, potatoes, jalapeno, spices, lime and cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
- Total Time: 25-35 mins
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (from about 6 ears sweet corn)
- 2 cups diced Yukon gold potatoes (from about 2 medium potatoes)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lime
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled Queso fresco
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. Add onion and sauté 2-3 minutes, then add jalapeno and sauté 2-3 more minutes, until soft. Stir in the corn and potatoes, then stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper. Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Run an immersion blender in the pot of soup for a few seconds, just long enough to thicken the soup. Stir in lime zest and juice, Greek yogurt or sour cream and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Top chowder with Queso fresco.
Cooking Tip: Use sweet corn in season for the freshest tasting soup.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 310mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: best, vegetarian, healthy, fresh corn