Is it casserole time? Because I’m ready for this chicken taco casserole.
How to make chicken taco casserole
Honestly, friends. This casserole could not be any easier to make. Here is how it goes:
- You start by cooking chicken breast seasoned with taco spices in a bit of olive oil. You can also use a rotisserie chicken or precooked chicken or some sort to make life REALLY easy! Once it’s cooked, just chop it up or shred it into bite-sized pieces.
- Next, you dump and stir! This step includes the chicken, brown rice, pinto beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, Mexi-corn, green chilies, jalapenos (if you like some heat!), bell peppers, salsa verde and more taco seasoning.
- Then, the mixture goes into a casserole dish with shredded cheeses, then tortilla chips and more cheese on top and gets baked until melted and bubbly and ooey gooey.
See! I said it was super easy AND ridiculously delicious!
Even when reheated the cheesy tortilla chip topping takes on a chilaquiles type thing and it’s SO GOOD.
What else is so great about chicken taco casserole?
So what else is so great about this casserole?
- It’s ready in less than 30 minutes, which means it’s weeknight-perfection stuffed in an adorable casserole dish. With cheese.
- It makes enough food for, like, 142 days worth of leftovers. Okay, maybe not that many days, but you get what I’m sayin’.
- It is packed full of flavors from the green chilies, jalapenos, salsa verde and homemade taco seasoning. Plus, I found this amazing can of naturally-seasoned pinto beans and they made the whole casserole THAT much more fantastic.
- It has juicy chicken and brown rice to help with the whole balanced-meal thing.
- And then we have tortilla chips. Which pretty much just transforms this already-delicious casserole into a dip, if you will, that, when topped with cilantro, avocado and Greek yogurt, is most likely the most amazing dinner/snack/midnight food you’ve had in a long time.
So what do you think? Are you in?
More casseroles you’ll wanna dig into:
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Tuna Noodle Potato Chip Casserole
- Cheesy Cauliflower Pizza Casserole
- Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
- Spaghetti Pie
Chicken Taco Casserole
Easy chicken taco casserole with brown rice, green chilies, pinto beans, mexi-corn and bell peppers, topped with cheesy tortilla chips.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 20-25 mins
- Total Time: 30-40 mins
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top, Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican-style
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided (see recipe in notes)
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup canned or frozen mexi-corn
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and sliced or diced
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 4-ounce can diced jalapenos (optional)
- 10-ounce can salsa verde
- Dash coarse salt and ground black pepper*
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- ½ bag tortilla chips
- Cilantro, green onion, avocado, plain Greek yogurt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet to medium heat. Season chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. Place chicken in the hot skillet and saute 3-5 minutes on each side, until chicken is browned and juices run clear. Remove from the pan and allow to rest 5-10 minutes. Chop chicken into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken pieces, brown rice, pinto beans, corn, bell peppers, tomatoes, green chilies, jalapenos (if using), salsa verde, remaining taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place mixture into a greased baking dish and top with half of both cheeses. Line the top with the tortilla chips and remaining cheeses. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top casserole with cilantro, green onion, avocado and/or Greek yogurt.
Cooking Tip: Recipe for homemade taco seasoning: 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder, 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves. *You will need to adjust the amount of salt and pepper you add to the casserole based on the taco seasoning you use, as store-bought taco seasoning often has lots of salt added to it.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 365
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 681mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
Keywords: easy, healthy, from scratch, comfort food, family friendly, weeknight dinner