I am so excited to finally be posting some fresh spring and summer inspired recipes right about now! I feel like we’ve been in that yucky winter/spring transition period FOREVER, and I’m just ready for all the fresh flavors. I’ve made several versions of potato salad over the years (there are SO many fun options!), and this green bean potato salad is a riff off your standard mayo potato salad with an “upgraded” dressing and some additional veggies and herbs. It’s literally going to give us life this summer, you guys.
How to make green bean potato salad
The first step is to make the dressing. Now, trust me when I say I LOVE mayonnaise. So I don’t want you thinking I am dogging mayo-based potato salad because I strongly feel there is a time and a place for it. But sometimes I just want something a bit lighter and more flavorful, which is where this dressing comes in. It’s a mix of mayonnaise, vinegar, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and olive oil and is balanced with a pinch of sugar and flavored with lemon zest, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. It’s SO good you’ll probably find other places to drizzle it, and that’s totally okay.
The next step is folding in the potato salad ingredients. We have Yukon gold potatoes (reds would also be nice), fresh green beans, hard-boiled eggs, parsley, chives and dill. The potatoes are in big chunks and they nicely soak up the dressing. The green beans are cooked just a few minutes, then rinsed in cold water to keep them bright and crisp. They add crunch and body to the salad and I truly think you’re going to love it. (For any gardeners out there – this is also a fabulous recipe to use up some of those green beans!) The hard-boiled eggs provide some richness, texture and that classic potato salad feel, and are honestly one of the ingredients I consider a MUST HAVE in potato salad. I just love them. And the fresh herbs, which can be totally customized (try tarragon!), give it an upscale, fresh taste that most potato salads lack. There are just so many positives about this salad, and I see myself making it over and over again this summer (I hope you do, too).
What goes with this potato salad
Honestly, any grilled meat goes super well with this potato salad. I’m talking grilled chicken thighs, legs or breasts smothered in BBQ sauce, grilled flank steak or salmon with chimichurri sauce, some grilled scallops or white fish with fruit salsa, burgers with fresh slices of heirloom tomatoes, grilled pork tenderloin with peach glaze, and the list goes on. I also have a stellar chili-infused grilled tofu recipe with fruit salsa in my MIND diet cookbook! So many delicious ways to serve this up, but I highly recommend bringing it to a potluck, summer BBQ or just make a batch at home and enjoy it with dinner all week. You won’t regret it.
Other amazing spring/summer recipes
- Summer Succotash with Grilled Corn
- Mixed Berry Oatmeal Cookie Crisp
- Peach Guacamole
- Italian Tortellini Salad
- Carrot Fries with Chipotle Aioli
- Sweet Corn & Bacon Fritters
- Rustic Heirloom Tomato Pizza
Green Bean Potato Salad
Homemade potato salad with yukon golds, green beans, hard-boiled eggs and herbs and a light mayo olive oil and Dijon dressing.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 20-30 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Sides, Salad
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon honey or granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- ½-pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives and/or dill, chopped
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, Dijon and lemon zest and juice until incorporated. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt and black pepper; taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook 4-5 minutes, then add the green beans and cook another 2-3 minutes or until potatoes and green beans are just barely fork tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add the potatoes, green beans and hard-boiled eggs to the bowl with the dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate at least an hour. Toss with parsley and fresh chives and/or dill and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 139mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
Keywords: potato salad, salad, side, side dish, sides, summer, quick and easy, no cook