A mouth-watering dark chocolate zucchini bread made with vegetables and whole wheat flour.
What’s not to love?
Yes, it’s a beautiful loaf of decadent, rich dessert bread.
But more importantly, it’s a decadent, rich dessert bread with all sorts of zucchini.
It’s amazing, it’s super tender, it’s Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread. But, like, even though the word zucchini is in the name of the bread, you seriously won’t even know it’s there (same goes for my Cinnamon Zucchini Banana Bread!)
What I’m telling you is somehow the zucchini just melts into it, and the only thing you taste is the fabulous double chocolate-ness that is this bread.
But you’re still eating vegetables. What a fabulous concept.
Don’t get me wrong: I love zucchini. I mean, I’ve been obsessing over zoodles and adding zucchini in casseroles for quite some time.
It’s just that, zucchini goes so well in so many dishes, sometimes without even realizing it’s there.
Bless your little heart, zucchini. For being incognito when it’s necessary, and for being the star of the show when it feels right.
Plus, I just find it flat out fun and mischievous when I hide veggies in recipes when it’s least expected. Muahahahahah.
Just kidding, but not really.
Zucchini for the win. Dark chocolate for the win.Print
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread
A tender, decadent, rich dessert bread made with zucchini, dark chocolate chips, and whole wheat flour.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr
- Yield: 1 Loaf (10 Slices) 1x
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup canola or grapeseed oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf tin.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, oil, brown sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in zucchini and ½ cup dark chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf tin and spread out using a spatula or the back of a spoon. Top with remaining 2 tablespoon chocolate chips. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Slice to serve.
Cooking Tip: You can swap regular whole wheat flour, oat flour or white flour with 1:1 ratio.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 168 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 52 mg
Keywords: double, easy, healthy, whole wheat, made from scratch, homemade