The breakfast game is strong over here. Especially when it involves chorizo & hash brown egg muffins.
Lots of great breakfast ideas around here!
I used to be the type of person who could take or leave breakfast food. I liked it, sometimes, but I never really thought about it or craved it… until about three years ago. We started going out for breakfast more frequently because that’s what happens when you move to a small town with almost no option for good dinner restaurants, and you’re forced to go out for breakfast dates at diners instead (diners rock at breakfast). Now that we’ve moved, we’ve found our new favorite breakfast spots (and lunch and dinner spots, thank God…) AND I am posting more breakfast recipes on the blog and making breakfast for myself almost daily since I work from home (perks!!).
But, I am still in a rush almost every day or am at least not looking to spend a bunch of time making scratch breakfasts on the daily, so I love make-ahead breakfast casseroles and egg muffins. Once they’re baked, I just pop them in the microwave and homemade breakfast is served. Boom.
How to make chorizo & hash brown egg muffins
I generally rotate between breakfast casseroles and egg muffin cups and put whatever veggies, proteins and herbs/spices I have on hand to create a balanced meal that is also supremely delicious. I happened to have some chorizo, hash browns (always), Mexican cheeses, baby bell peppers and cilantro on hand, so today’s egg muffin creation features all of the above. I also added some smoked paprika (the best spice on earth), onion and garlic powders, and some crushed red pepper flakes for a bit more heat. The chorizo adds some heat, but I like it when my nose runs a little at the end of a meal. If it doesn’t, it’s not quite spicy enough.
P.S. is that gross? TMI? Sorry, but it’s the truth.
So load up on your favorite breakfast stuffs, bake egg muffins and enjoy a homemade breakfast all week long.Print
Chorizo & Hash Brown Egg Muffins
High protein egg muffins filled with chorizo, bell peppers, hash browns and Mexican cheeses. Perfect for meal prep because they can be cooked in advance and frozen or refrigerated and reheated for quick and simple weekday breakfasts.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast/Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- ½-pound ground chorizo
- 10 large eggs
- 1 medium bell pepper or 4 mini bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup shredded hash browns
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheeses
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet to medium-low heat. Add chorizo and sauté until browned, breaking the chorizo into small pieces as it cooks. Drain and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk or stir until thoroughly combined.
- Use a measuring cup to scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin tin, filling almost to the top. Bake 16-18 minutes or until egg is just set.
Storage Tip: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 161
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 416
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 0.5
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 221
Keywords: easy, healthy, frittata, meal prep, freezer meals, freezer meal, make ahead