Friendssssss. We are never too old for chicken nuggets, right? Especially when they’re corn chip-crusted chicken nuggets?
How to make corn chip-crusted chicken nuggets
I am so so so serious right now. Yes, I am posting a blog about chicken nuggets. But not like the chicken nuggets you find in the freezer section, or from the drive thru. Like, real chicken nuggets made from CHICKEN. How cool is that?! I mean, I have to be honest though. I’ve enjoyed a chicken nugget or 10 in my day from one of the above sources. But nothing beats a juicy, all-meat chicken nugget made from straight-up chicken breast.
I swear, I wouldn’t lie to you right now.
And also, nothing beats having a crispy, crunchy, spicy and smokey crust on those little nuggets! This special crust-mix is made from 3-ingredient corn chips, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and crushed red pepper flakes, because SPICE is all I want these days. After dipping these little guys in a bath of eggs n milk, the crumbs’ll stick right to each tender nugget, and when baked on a wire rack, becomes crunchy as all get-out.
They’re the nuggets of your dreams.
There’s also a delicious avocado dip… you know what to do
And when you have smokey, spicy and crunchy, you need cool and creamy to back-it-up. That’s where the avocado yogurt dip comes in. YUP. It’s made with a ripe, creamy avocado, zesty Greek yogurt and lime juice, the oh-so-flavorful cilantro and a coupla pinches of sugar for good measure (or to balance all of that tanginess).
It’s just ridiculously good, and you’ll want to drizzle it on anything and everything.
Mostly chili-corn crusted chicken nuggets. But yes, anything and everything.
Eat up, folks!Print
Corn Chip-Crusted Chicken Nuggets
Homemade chicken nuggets with a spiced corn chip crust and avocado dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 15-20 mins
- Total Time: 25-35 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled
- Zest and juice of 2 medium limes
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Pinch coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 ½ cups corn chips
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Pinch coarse salt and ground black pepper
- Puree avocado, lime, Greek yogurt, cilantro and sugar. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Place in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the corn chips, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes/cayenne in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles bread crumbs. In a separate small bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
- Season chicken breast cubes with a dash of salt and pepper. Prepare baking sheet with a wire rack and coat with cooking spray. Dip chicken breast cubes into the egg/milk mixture, then coat with the corn chip/spice mixture. Place on the wire rack with at least an inch of space in between each nugget. Coat each nugget with cooking spray. Place in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, until internal temperature of nuggets reaches 160 degrees.
- Allow nuggets to cool for a few minutes before eating. Serve with avocado yogurt dip.
Cooking Tip: Make the avocado dip in advance so it’s ready when you are.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 371
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 340mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 31g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
Keywords: easy, healthy, baked, homemade, spicy, battered, family friendly, kid-friendly