Raise your hand if you love cornbread muffins! I’m over here jumping for joy because I am a HUGE cornbread muffin fan (or cornbread of any kind). Especially when it involves freshly shredded sharp cheddar, spicy jalapenos and crispy, salty bacon.
And don’t fret – if you aren’t a fan of any or all of those things, they can easily be omitted and swapped with other fun fill-ins, or you can just do plain ol’ delicious cornbread muffins with no fill-ins. I like all of the above, so no harm or hurt feelings.
Cornbread muffins with cheddar, jalapeno & bacon
I did a poll on Instagram on what fill-ins people enjoy, and one (amazing) suggestion was BLUEBERRIES. You know I love sweet and savory combos, so next time… I’m going for the bluebs. Someone else (I think it was actually my husband) said corn, and that’s a more obvious option, yet totally scrumptious.
Basically what I’m saying is the options here are completely endless.
They’re gonna be your cornbread muffins, so do ’em up how you like ’em.
I just know that no matter what you add to the batter (as long as you use buttermilk!), these guys bake up nice and tender and delicious. And if you’re feeling wild (I always am), slather on the honey and salted butter and enjoy every. last. bite.
Plus, if you pair a cornbread muffin with a bowl of homemade soup, there is literally nothing better. Homemade soup + cornbread muffin = life.
The best vehicle for soupPrint
Cheddar, Jalapeno & Bacon Cornbread Muffins
Buttermilk cornbread muffins with freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese, spicy jalapenos and crispy, salty bacon. The batter is customizable, though, so mix whatever you like into these tender, soft, southern-style muffins.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 22 min
- Total Time: 37 min
- Yield: Makes 15 muffins 1x
- Category: Side, Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Southern, American
- 4 slices all-natural bacon, chopped
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 cup coarse cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups low fat buttermilk or 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded, ribbed and minced
- Soft salted butter and honey, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- Heat medium skillet to medium heat. Add chopped bacon and cook, 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until crispy. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat together softened butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time, until mixture is fluffy. Beat in buttermilk until combined. Slowly add dry ingredient mixture until just combined. Use a spatula to fold in bacon crumbles, shredded cheddar and minced jalapeno.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop batter into each muffin well, filling about ¾ of the way full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes clean.
- Let cool, then serve with butter and honey.
Cooking Tip: You can also use all-purpose or whole wheat flour.
- Serving Size: 1/15 of recipe
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 202
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 46
Keywords: easy, healthy, whole wheat, with buttermilk, homemade, from scratch, quick