It’s time for cashew chicken lettuce wraps. These easy lettuce wraps are made with an Asian-inspired cashew sauce, topped with toasted cashews and green onion. I promise you’ll love them.
Let’s make cashew chicken lettuce wraps
What a great day for sharing a new, delicious recipe with my friends (that’s you!). It’s absolutely gorgeous outside and that puts me in the mood for something light, fresh and super satisfying. Cue: cashew chicken lettuce wraps. They’re light in the sense that there are no buns or bread or anything super carb-y involved. Don’t get me wrong; I absolutely love those things and I absolutely love carbs. So they’re not going anywhere on a permanent basis, but just today I’m in the mood for the lettuce cups. Is that cool?
You can essentially put anything in these little cups (remember the Curried Turkey Salad Lettuce Cups?) to create a light meal, and one of my favorite fillings is cashew chicken. And this isn’t just any cashew chicken. It’s made with my favorite sauce of life: a rendition of my peanut sauce, but instead of peanut butter, we’re using cashew butter (but honestly, you can use PB or almond butter and will still absolutely love them). It’s seriously dynamite, and I’m pretty confident that you won’t want or need any other sauce for the rest of eternity. It’s nutty, slightly sweet, spicy and umami – all in one. What else is there?
My favorite easy weeknight meal!
Then, the lettuce cups are topped with salty cashews, a generous handful of fresh cilantro and more Sriracha. Your nose’ll be running just a little bit by the end of this meal, but that’s the sign of a great meal. Right? And the entire thing comes together really, really quickly and because it’s light and fresh, it really makes a great summer meal or just something easy for a busy weeknight. You can also freeze the filling for up to 2 months, which makes life that much easier. Yes, yes, yes.
Other quick & easy weeknight meals I know you’ll love:
- Taco Lettuce Cups
- Pepita-Crusted Tuna Cakes
- Berry Chicken Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Pistachio-Crusted Scallops
- Simple Spaghetti with Garlic, Peas & Parmesan
- Maple Mustard Salmon with Roasted Broccoli
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Easy chicken lettuce wraps with an Asian-inspired cashew sauce, topped with toasted cashews and green onion.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins
- Total Time: 20-30 mins
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
- 6 tablespoons cashew, almond or peanut butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or chili garlic sauce
- Zest and juice of 2 medium limes
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- Splash hot water
Chicken and Lettuce Wraps:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1–1 ½ pounds ground chicken
- 10 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 heads Boston lettuce (or Bibb)
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Handful chopped cashews
- Sriracha, to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together cashew sauce ingredients until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Heat oil to medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in coleslaw mix and cook 5-6 minutes, until cabbage is wilted and chicken is fully cooked and browned. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in cashew sauce and simmer 2-3 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Place lettuce cups on a plate. Spoon chicken mixture into each cup and garnish with cilantro, cashews and Sriracha.
Cooking Tip: Use any ground meat and any nut butter to make this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 530mg
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 23g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
Keywords: easy, healthy, without hoisin sauce, cashew butter, cups