So here I am, back with another muffin recipe. This time for banana crunch muffins.
How to make banana crunch muffins
It’s really exciting, you guys. Because I basically had 14 (maybe more) overly ripe frozen bananas that I needed to use.
You know how that happens when you buy a bunch of bananas every single week, and sometimes you eat them in time, and sometimes you don’t.
So then you’re forced to bake banana bread. It’s a sad, sad day when you’re forced into baking banana bread.
And I’m totally kidding. Sometimes I let them go bad just so I can make banana bread.
Or in this case, Banana Crunch Muffins.
What makes these so good? The crunch factor.
I’ve been on this muffin kick lately – probably because they are SO good – but also because I like mini food that I can just grab instead of slicing a loaf. *Lazy kid problems*
And so came the banana muffin concept that was just demanding a crunchy cinnamon-oat-brown sugar-butter topping that’ll remind you of grandma’s house. Sigh.
Also, I used old-fashioned oats + oat flour (basically ground oats) instead of any refined flours, which made these muffins THAT much better.
They’re super tender with just the perfect amount of sweetness and wholesomeness to melt your heart. You won’t want just the top, you’ll want the entire thing.
Ahhh, I just love them.
Banana Crunch Muffins
Tender banana muffins with a crunchy, buttery oat topping.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 20-25 mins
- Total Time: 30-40 mins
- Yield: Makes 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large ripe bananas
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup oat flour (or ground oats)
- ½ + ⅔ cup rolled old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or fresh or frozen blueberries (if using)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 or 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter. Add oats, brown sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream bananas, brown sugar, eggs and oil until fluffy. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together oat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. While the mixer is running, slowly dump dry ingredients into the banana mixture, just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips or blueberries (if using). Spoon batter into muffin tin, about ⅔ of the way full. Top each muffin with a spoonful of topping. Bake 18-22 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 41 mg
Keywords: best, healthy, easy, 2 bananas, make ahead, entertaining, crunchy topping