I’m always in the mood for breakfast casserole with bacon, aren’t you?
Who doesn’t love a make-ahead breakfast?
Breakfast is hard sometimes. Not because I don’t LOVE it, because I do, but because it’s a busy time of day and I’m usually rushing to get to work and don’t always plan ahead.
Sometimes I end up eating my lunch for breakfast, and other times I end up just eating a banana (or a frozen blueberry waffle), but then I’m starving by 10am.
That’s where breakfast casserole (or PB&J Overnight Oats) comes in. It’s one of the quickest, simplest, and most delicious breakfasts out there, and if you cook it on the weekend, it’s all set to heat up every day this week (!!!)
I realize other people are great at planning ahead and probably already do stuff like this, but I have to remind myself every weekend to plan for weekday breakfasts. Why is it so difficult?
This breakfast casserole with bacon is the stuff dreams are made of.
Anyway, I’m so super excited for this breakfast casserole, because it’s loaded with BACON, red peppers, broccoli, spinach, hash browns, cheese and cottage cheese. Yes, cottage cheese!
It adds more protein and honestly, you don’t even realize there’s cottage cheese in there. It’s kinda crazy.
Needless to say, this breakfast casserole is super filling and keeps me going until lunchtime.
Also… did I mention it’s delicious and totally customizable?
Win after win after win.
Breakfast casserole with bacon!Print
Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
An easy flavorful breakfast casserole with bacon, vegetables, hash browns, cheese and lots of delicious spices.
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 35-40 mins
- Total Time: 45-55 mins
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove-Top, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 6–8 slices chopped uncured bacon
- 2 cups finely chopped vegetables
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded hash browns
- 1 ½ cup shredded marble jack cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet to medium. Add the bacon and cook until bacon is crispy or sausage is lightly browned on the edges, stirring frequently. Remove from the pan and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan.
- Add the veggies to the pan and cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly soft, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt, Dijon, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and whisk to combine. Fold in the cooked bacon, cooked veggies, hash browns and half of the cheese.
- Transfer egg mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with remaining cup of shredded cheese. Bake 35-40 minutes, until egg is set. Remove and allow to slightly cool before slicing. Serve.
Cooking Tip: Try with ham, breakfast sausage or uncured smoked sausage.
Substitution Tip: For a vegetarian casserole, leave out the meat.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 258
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 565mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 215mg
Keywords: vegetable, healthy, easy, vegetarian option, for a crowd, family friendly